How to install Media Center in Windows 10
Microsoft officially dropped Media Center before Windows 10 was released but clever Media Center fans at forums.mydigitallife.info worked together to delevop an installer that anyone can use to install Media Center in Windows 10. This pack can also be used to install Media Center in Windows 8.1
Notes: You should ensure that your TV Tuners (USB or PCIe card) are Windows 8 compatible (or Windows 10 compatible).
Also note there are 2 different Windows 10 Media Center Pack downloads available online. You need the newer v12 download. The version number is at the end of the file name. IceTV Interactive only works with the v12
There is also a version 8.8.1 that has the same fixes as v12 but does not use the troublesome DISM installer that version 12 uses. There does not seem to be a 32 bit version of 8.8.1 available. It seems like it is only available as x64 for 64bit Windows.
- Version 8.8.1 is WMC-V8.8.1_x64_by_T-S from Feb 2016 and works with IceTV. Only available for 64bit Windows.
- Version 12 is WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12 and WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x86_v12 from Feb 2016 and works with IceTV.
- Version 2.1 is WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1 from Sep 2015 and won't work with IceTV.
The other numbers in the names refer to which version of Windows the Media Center files originally came from and are not important.
Downloading and Installing
The installer is available for both 64bit and 32bit versions of Windows 10. If you have a 64bit version of Windows 10 you will need to download the 64bit version of the Media Center for Windows 10 installer. Otherwise download the 32bit version. If you aren't sure if you have the 64bit version of Windows 10 see Which Windows operating system am I running?
Note: Windows UAC should be set to the default settings during the installation and setup of Media Center and IceTV Interactive.
1. Download the 32bit or 64bit Media Center for Windows 10 installer from here. Click on the link for Mega, files.fm or Mirrors under the file with x64 in it's name for 64bit, or with x86 in it's name for 32bit. e.g. File: WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12.7z is the 64bit file and File: WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x86_v12.7z is the 32bit file.
2. Unzip or extract the downloaded .7z file. If you need an unzip program that can unzip .7z files download and install the free 7-Zip from here.
3. Carefully read the _ReadMe.txt file as it contains some important information.
4. Open the WMC86 or WMC64 folder and right-click on the file named '_TestRights.cmd' and select 'Run as administrator'.
5. Then right-click on the file named 'Installer.cmd' and select 'Run as administrator'. When shows it has finished, press any key to exit the installer.
6. An icon to start Windows Media Center should now be on the Start Menu under Windows Accessories, but before you start Media Center...
7. Read the Workarounds.txt file so if you get any errors while installing or using Media Center you know how to resolve them. Maybe also print a copy for reviewing later if you any issues crop up.
8. Proceed to our guide on Setting up IceTV and Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 Media Center here.
The forum post at the link in step 1 will always have links to the latest version of Media Center for Windows 10, so maybe check for a newer version every few months.
To uninstall just run the Uninstaller from the uninstall shortcut on the Start Menu under Windows Accessories.
Installing things in the wrong order can cause strange problems, and a lot of extra work to resolve those problems. Problems like Media Center not finding any channels, IceTV Interactive refusing to start with Windows, icons vanishing from your IceTV Interactive shortcuts or no channels being set to use IceTV.
If your new setup is not working correctly we strongly recommend that you start from scratch so that you can install and setup Windows 10 and Media Center in the following order.