IceTV's recording Preferences (aka keywords) can be very powerful or very simple, depending on how complex you want to make them. But do not make them too simple or you can end up accidentally recording LOTS of shows each day, and often shows you didn't want to record.
If you want to record a particular genre like AFL and you only wanted to record AFL matches that had not been shown on TV in your region before you would do the following:
- Log in to the IceTV website and click on TV Guide, My Week or My Series.
- Click on the Add New Preference button.
- Click on the Program options tab (just above the 'Selection Term' text box).
- Click on Program Genre.
- Click on the 'Other Genres' box
- Find and click on the genre you want. - in this example we want AFL
- Click on Include.
- Click on New or Repeat Showings.
- Click on New Only - we only to record new AFL matches and not repeats.
- Click on Preview to see what shows would match this week.
- If you are happy with the preview results, click on "Save your selection term...".
Now any AFL match that is not a repeat will automatically be scheduled to record.
If the preview finds far too many shows you may want to refine your preference to make it more selective. For example as well as steps 1 to 9 above you would:
- Click on the 'Selection criteria' tab.
- Type Collingwood into the Selection Term box.
- Click on "Title (Series and Episode)".
- Click on Include (or click on Exclude if don't want to record Collingwood matches).
- Click on the first 'Add to Profile' button.
Now any AFL match that is not a repeat and includes Collingwood in the title or description will automatically be scheduled to record. Unless you excluded Collingwood, in which case any AFL match that is not a repeat and does not include Collingwood in the title or description will automatically be scheduled to record.